10.19.2010

The art of making something out of nothing

It's almost 7pm. All over Milano people are bustling about for aperitivi. This was one of my most favorite things about living there.

We, however, are still in Holland. But I will not be deterred. So whilst my husband is running late from work, I decide to do something "wifely".

Our fridge is painfully bare at the moment, as we are leaving tomorrow for a week. The sad inventory: 6 slices of prosciutto, 5 olives, and 3 tubs of sprouts that I had to have (I've been on this weird sprout kick lately) but now am not quite sure what to do with.

Italians are masters of l'arte d'arrangiarsi, the art of getting by. Or (for all you Eat, Pray, Love fans), the art of making something out of nothing.  Whatever you want to call it, it's time for me to step up and earn my red, white and green stripes.

Game on.


Pickled & Prosciutto-wrapped Broccoli Sprouts

In a small bowl combine 1 small clove of minced garlic, a dash of salt, a grind of fresh pepper, and 1-2 teaspoons of red wine vinegar or mirin (Japanese rice wine vinegar).

Add a large handful of broccoli sprouts and toss lightly.

In a small skillet, heat a tablespoon of olive oil over a medium flame for about a minute. Take it off the flame before it starts smoking, pour it over the broccoli sprouts and toss.

Throw the broccoli sprouts against the hot pan (just to wilt them a little) and roll them in the slices of prosciutto.

Arrange on a plate with olives and grisini - or whatever was left in your fridge.

Mission accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments almost as much as prosecco. Almost...

You might also like...